2.11.05

Supercreep [USA]

"Exploiting his own personality flaws and goth-funk-teen roots to spawn a self-deprecating carnival of split personalities, bent harmonies and broken soul, Supercreep shamelessly pens song after song about vaguely-concealed heterosexual tension antics, obsessions with past lives personified by cabaret ghouls and schlocky vampires, and twisted end-of-days undertones swirled in hand-me-down Theosophy and Greek myth - playing all the instruments himself and singing his own chik backup vocals."

Supercreep's music belongs to imaginary discoclubs, where eccentric beings are dancing to that kind of diffusive and blurred grooves, almost incomplete superhits which are clearly pulled out from another dimension. It almost feels like someone has forgotten the drummachine to tick on it's own. There ain't nothing amazingly new in his music, i'm wondering if i'm more charmed to that dirty and straightforward production style or am i simply fascinated to that incredible fun-ky-ness that Supercreep causes. Mr. Creep's vocal skills are also worth mentioning, especially in tracks such as "Scary Face" and "Tasteless". The latter one must be the most stylish disco ballad ever written. By the way, in our mixtape you can find his almighty "Gastronome" under the Super Vision moniker. As we are dealing with a creep, there ain't much information available, whereas i got really attached to his music and still decided to have a word with him. I'm gonna post some parts of our conversation.


Scary face [mp3]
Hay Donna [mp3]
Tasteless [mp3]
Charles and the lovely Eve [mp3]
Get Off My Beach! [mp3]
I'm So Bored [mp3]
Dismissalism [mp3]
Zombie Talk [mp3]
Ariel Pink - West Coast Calamities (Supercreep's club mix) [mp3]

First of all, what's the deal with donna? you just simply decided to dedicate a song to her?
Donna's a hero. I wanted to paint a wicked lady and the word was Donna. Donna just slithered out of my mouth. I don't know why she's coming back. So it was a mouth/rhythm-what-word-fits kinda thing. (Strange though I later found out I dated a "Donna" a few years back - no relation.)
Ok, what influences you anyway in general?
The Shangri-Las. The Shags. Holy Mountain. Los Angeles. The 1980's because those years feel the most tragic and epic.
I noticed you have done a rework of one Ariel Pink's track. What's up with that?
Oh West Coast Calamities! That was when I was living very far away (from Los Angeles) and hadn't seen him in years. That song was like a love letter. Plus I thought it would be hilarious to do West Coast Calamities with that sound and gothy vocals. Have you heard the original? It's so different!
Is there any specific way for your songs to come into being? Do they exist in your mind for a long time or you just play instruments and see what will happen?
They can't be in my head for a while or else they vanish or mix up. Sometimes it's a race to figure them out before they change. Besides, the ones that really sound good to me are just accidents.
It's a stupid question, i know, but still, do you play live? How the hell could you possibly give a great concert only by yourself and your drummachine?
Yeah no I think the same thing like I better put together a band and teach them the songs but I think the backtracks are great. It all amounts to something that's going on in my head all by itself.
How do you yourself define your sound? Do you ever consider yourself as a part of the so called new weird america movement?
No but I am pretty weird. Though I'm not sure who coined that term... The Wire? It's hard being weird in America because if you're truly weird you don't even get to be part of a 'movement' like that... you're really just alone and experiencing yourself in a really free way. I think my sound sort of chose me... like I never expected to be making pop music.
Thank you, and please, recommend me a great new artist that i probably haven't heard about yet.
Ry Rocklen

4 Comments:

At 3/11/05 03:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

drugs.

 
At 6/11/05 10:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brilliant, a marvelous post, thank you infinity

 
At 6/11/05 10:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also do you know where i can buy his CD's? i want to hear more

 
At 6/11/05 14:40, Blogger suhkruhai said...

he distributes his cancer album (and maybe others as well) on his own. but you just drop him a mail (gesamtkunstwerk@gmail.com) and i'm sure he works something out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home